- Mondi launches NextLiner, the first to market solution that reduces the environmental footprint of polycoated kraft (PCK) paper release liners
- NextLiner uses recycled base paper and resins made from renewable resources
Mondi, global leader in packaging and paper, has developed the world’s first sustainable polycoated kraft (PCK) paper release liner, which is being launched on a global scale. Such liners are indispensable to carry and protect pressure-sensitive adhesive (PSA) products, and currently are often discarded once the PSA products are used. Mondi’s NextLiner uses a recycled base paper with a coating made from renewable resources. Using recycled fibres and renewable materials can have a positive impact on the environmental footprint of NextLiner, used in graphic arts, tapes and other industrial applications.
''Our goal is to be sustainable by design, so we have worked on innovating environmentally responsible NextLiners that support our customers’ sustainability goals. Using recycled fibres and renewable resins takes us one step closer to making the PSA supply chain more sustainable.'' Stefan Schönberger, Head of Product Sustainability, Mondi Release Liner
Usage of release liners continues to grow - polyolefin coated paper consumption is around 9 billion m² per year with a market share of 16% of the total release liner market1- which makes environmentally responsible alternatives in the sector all the more important. The launch of NextLiner is a first important step in the development of sustainable liners with more to come. Mondi is continually conducting research and development into more sustainable release liner alternatives (for PCK as well as paper- and film-based release liners) and recycling-related technologies as a part of the company’s commitment to contribute to a better world.
1Source: AWA Annual Review Global Release Liner Market 2020
- NextLiner is currently available in a 90-pound PCK grade (90# Liner), a standard graphic arts grade. Additional grades are available by adjusting the polycoating and paper weight.
- NextLiner is available in a plain or structured version (as AirXLiner™).
- Polycoated kraft paper has several advantages over alternative constructions, as it doesn’t tear easily and offers comparable moisture resistance properties. It has good layflatness, even when wet, and typically comes in an overall higher grammage (e.g., 90-gramm) compared to the standard, thinner options often used for labels.
Mondi is a global leader in packaging and paper, contributing to a better world by making innovative, packaging and paper solutions that are sustainable by design. Our business is fully integrated across the value chain – from managing forests and producing pulp, paper and plastic films, to developing and manufacturing effective industrial and consumer packaging solutions. Sustainability is at the centre of our strategy and intrinsic in the way we do business. We lead the industry with our customer- centric approach, EcoSolutions, where we ask the right questions to find the most sustainable solution. In 2019, Mondi had revenues of €7.27 billion and underlying EBITDA of €1.66 billion.
Mondi has a premium listing on the London Stock Exchange (MNDI), and a secondary listing on the JSE Limited (MNP). Mondi is a FTSE 100 constituent, and has been included in the FTSE4Good Index Series since 2008 and the FTSE/JSE Responsible Investment Index Series since 2007.